I spent some time looking and I simply could not find a Vegan cornbread recipe that was like the down-home cornbread that my Mom made. I wanted a sustainable Vegan recipe so I decided to improvise and make my own. The recipe turned out delicious, light, and fluffy and sorry Mom but mine is better even than yours.
This recipe is just like the classic but without the milk and egg. The ingredients I used (see picture of ingredients) were what I am currently going through in my pantry. Sugar was standard white sugar but I will improve that in the future. I am using up the older cornmeal before digging into the organic. Also, the grape seed oil is good for you but you can use other vegetable oil instead.
Easy Vegan Cornbread
(Use organic products when possible)
1 ¼ cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
¾ cup (90 g) cornmeal
¼ cup (50 g) sugar
3 teaspoons (12 g) baking powder
1 cup (240 ml) lite coconut milk (about 7% fat)
¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
1 tablespoon (7 g) of freshly ground golden flax seed***
3 tablespoons (45 ml) of hot water***
One 8-9 inch (203 – 229 mm) baking pan
One medium sized bowl
One small bowl
One tiny bowl
Heavy duty spatula or spoon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 deg Celsius).
- Grease the 8 or 9 inch (203 – 229 mm) baking pan.
- *** In tiny bowl, make a “flax egg” by adding 3 tablespoons (45 ml) hot water to 1 tablespoon (7 g) fresh ground flax and let set a few minutes. It should turn “guey”. This is the egg replacement used for binding.
- In medium sized bowl, add first four dry ingredients. Wisk together.
- In small sized bowl, add coconut milk, vegetable oil, and “flax egg”. Wisk together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir with spatula or large spoon until thoroughly moistened.
- Pour moistened mixture into 8 or 9 inch (203 – 229 mm) pre-greased baking pan.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes on center rack of oven.
- Insert butter knife into center to check of cornbread for doneness. It should come out clean. If not, add 3-5 minutes more baking time but beware too much time can dry out the cornbread.